Get in fast.
The deadline for the 2016/17 WAM (West Australian Music) Song of the Year competition has just been extended to 11.59 PM Thursday 16th of February.
There are over $40, 000 worth of prizes available for any budding W.A. muso who enters their song in one of the 16 categories- and a winner will be chosen from each.
The individual prizes include $500 cash and sessions in Western Australia’s most prestigious recording studios. From the 16 category winners, one standout artist or group will be crowned ‘Song of the Year Grand Prize Winner’, clocking in:
- $3,000 cash
- a three-day recording and production session with one of Australia’s most high profile producers, Anna Laverty
- the opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus an online tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 12-month Spotify subscriptions for you and your fellow songwriters
- a National Media Servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- a RØDE microphone package
- expert promo & radio plugging assessment and consultation from renown Sydney-based publicist, John Zucco, from The Right Profile
- $1,100 towards your next CD pressing plus one year’s worth of digital distribution from Diskbank
- a state-of-the-art Audiofly in-ear monitors package valued at $1,200
- a Cool Perth Nights “gold pass” providing free entry to all Cool Perth Nights events at Mojo’s Bar, Four5Nine, Babushka and the Rosemount Hotel for a one month period of your choice
- a guaranteed prime spot on the 2017 WAMFest line-up
Entering your original tracks can be done by through www.songoftheyear.com.au/. All tracks entered must have been written or released between January 1st – December 31st 2016. For WAM members, entering a song will cost $33 for your first three entries in a three for one deal, and another $33 for each song entered after that. For non-members, each song you enter is $44, and for school students each entry is $15.
The winners will be announced at the annual awards night, where other local talent is on show. The date and location for the awards night is yet to be announced, but all nominees can expect to be contacted by April 15th 2017.
The first release of this year’s judging panel includes a number of premium Spotify DJ’s, reps from RTRFM, Pilerats, TheMusic, Xpress Magazine, Parenthèses Records (Belgium,) and Far Out Distant Sounds (China.) All judging is conducted anonymously and independently of WAM.
Since 1985 WAM have dedicated themselves to creating an environment in which Western Australian musicians can flourish- giving the opportunity to refine their skills and receive industry experience and recognition. The Song of the Year competition gives Western Australian artists a platform to further their career, and works to heighten the WA music scene.
Notable past winners of the competition include Tired Lion, Methyl Ethel, Kučka and San Cisco. Last year’s grand prize winner Beni Bjah became the first Indigenous artist to claim the title with his song “Survivors”. Since his win, he has scored much-coveted airtime on Triple j and has played a number of festivals and support slots for international bands on tour.
You can check out the 2015/16 winning songs on WAM’s SoundCloud playlist here: https://soundcloud.com/musicwa/sets/wamsoty-winners
Entering the WAM Song of the Year competition could change your future in the Australian music scene. If you thing you have what it takes, apply today!